Tips to get fried chicken batter to "stick" to skinless chicken?

Hi. I just made a delicious batch of skinless fried chicken, but the batter always slides off the chicken when I make it this way. Does anyone have any tips? I read on Cooks Illustrated that resting battered but not fried chicken helps.
I dredged in buttermilk and then in a mixture of flour. a bit of wondra (includes baking powder), salt, and seasonings. Came out gorgeous--crisp, flavorful, etc--but the chicken lost it's batter on the top and bottom as we ate! thanks in advance!

asked by ortolan almost 2 years ago
0f493ab9-068f-4498-ba2c-95c992214d52.sit2

Even with skin on chicken it's best to do a soak first.
Then the missing step you have is a 'dry dredge" of just seasoned flour before the "wet dredge"

The middle step of a dry dredge before the final dredge gives the batter something to hang on to.

SO, for that recipe it would be:
Wet...dry...back into wet and dry again. (although most traditional would have the final step a egg batter type wet batter)
Basically you gotta have a foundation of dry and then a repeat building of the wet and a final structure on top.

68de587a-1415-4682-863f-6f7a5c5c1744.dsc_0013

I've had luck using a dry-wet-dry method. I take chicken breast or thighs (boneless and skinless) pounded flat and I cover them in flour, then I dunk them in well beaten eggs (with a little water), lastly I cover them in panko bread crumbs with assorted fresh herbs. Then I take the well covered chicken and cook in a liberal amount of oil. I've used this method very successfully for years. Good luck to you!

C9fe3f6c-c3eb-473c-918e-88792bcc3a90.image

You need to dredge your chicken pieces in seasoned flour as a FIRST step. Seasoning can include anything from paprika, through oregano to "whatever you like", but be sure to include salt & pepper. Your batter should also be seasoned to taste. Batters are enhanced by the addition of baking powder, beer, or, my personal favorite, cornstarch. This one " lightens" the batter.
Good luck!

153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d.zester_003

That was meant to read "superfine" flour. And I have to add as a PS that I am no way, no how any big fan of Cooks Illustrated.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04.avatar

The real answer was revealed on one of the cooking shows by Cook's Illustrated this last week. To mix the dredge, you add some water and a titch of baking power (1/8th?, I'd use more, love the taste) to it just enough to make it floury/lumpy (little lumpy) then put in refrigerator for a time. How long, I don't remember but one could assume until it chilled and dried enough to stick together and to the chicken. Somebody who has a brain cell left, unlike myself, can give you the deets.