🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Dairy Alternatives In Recipes

There are some Indian recipes that call for yogurt like Tikka Masala and chicken korma. Additionally, there are recipes like beef stroganoff that I want to make but also call for mixing dairy and meat. Since we keep kosher in my household, I am wondering if anyone has tested alternatives that work really well. Bonus points if it can be used in a slow cooker.

asked by BurgeoningBaker about 1 year ago
Monita_photo

You can try using Tofutti sour cream as a substitute or a soymilk yogurt which is dairy free. I
I've used both of these when cooking with meat but, alas, not in a slow cooker

How about cashew cream? It's so simple to make and is a wonderful substitute for heavy cream in soups. Let's say you need about 1 cup, then put 1 cup of raw cashews into a small container and add enough cold water to cover. Let this soak in the refrigerator overnight covered. The next day, drain the cashews and rinse, then add them to a blender and add cold water to cover by about 1" (less if you want it to be thicker). Then blend until smooth. You can use this in a slow cooker too. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility with a slow cooker -- in most if not all cases it is probably best to add the yogurt/sour cream/substitute at the end of cooking anyways. You might also want to try coconut based yogurt -- I think it has a more neutral flavor than the soy yogurt I've tried.

In both indian recipes you can use cashew paste

Thanks everyone. I'll give one of them a try at some point in the near future and let you know how it turns out. The recipes are slow cooker recipes so we will see what happens.

Is cashew cream and cashew paste mostly the same thing (consistency aside)?