Related to my red beans and rice. What's the difference between "red beans" and "red kidney beans"? Different taste?

asked by katherine_ellington over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

The red beans and rice recipe I have uses kidney beans. I don't know how using other beans would change the texture or flavor. With the kidney beans it gets really creamy.

Dsc_0048b

I bet drbabs will have an answer for you! I'm not sure there is a big difference - the flavor is similar, but the red beans are quite a bit smaller which might affect cooking times. I use small red beans in my red beans and rice like in drbabs' recipe but have subbed kidney beans when I can't find them.

Kay_at_lake

I use the small ones, but have used kidney when I couldn't find those. They have a slightly different taste when tasted alone, but are essentially the same flavor by the time you get it all mixed up with the other ingredients in RBR.

Mail

I prefer pinto or rositas for my rice and beans finding the red kidney bean, however delicious, to have a thicker skin and not as easy to digest. I use pinto for my chili as well.

Practically no difference between kidney and red beans. The red beans tend to be a little smaller (at least in New 'awlins) but use whats you gots. Believe I forgot to mention that andouille sausage ought to go into that shoulder and red beans mess up.

pierino, is there a way to "fan" you twice?

Image

As pierino said, it's just preference--kidney beans are larger and meatier; red beans are smaller. Use what you have.

Fan me many times dear, 'cept that right now it is really cold, so I don't need no fannin'. What I do need is red beans and rice and some zydeco music.

036

What you need my friend Pierino is some all day duck gumbo, some Subdudes and some Gourds, and a beer or 4. Hmm ... me too come to think of it

dude, you're killin' me. I mos def need to git out my scrub-board.

Yes ma'am, reminds me of my misspent yout' hangin' out at the Napoleon House on Chartres. Oh, but then there was also Chez Helene....

Image

count me in!

19536_265093522905_577502905_3203775_6205691_n

Well the proof is in the cooking. The red kidney beans worked out just fine and from my research, the kidney beans are more cajun and the small red beans are more caribbean, but also hail in New Orleans. In this rendition, the Thanksgiving ham bone was the star. It's pot licking good.

Img_2487 Red beans and rice, with a little chow chow.

Face_hat_underpainting_1

pierino - 2 hours of early morning (9-11 Central Time) Cajun & Zydeco music stream every wednesday at www.koop.org out of Austin, TX..

We think this was a fun thread. And good food came out of it.