What's your favorite bean pot?

At my husband's request, we've been eating a lot of beans this fall. I haven't had a dedicated clay bean pot since my mother's Boston pot broke many years ago, and I'm ready for a new one. There are Egyptian and Italian ones at Provisions, creamtea just asked a Hotline question about her La Chamba pot, which looks great for beans. What should I get?

asked 10 months ago

This is one item that you might look for in an antique shop or flea market. I got a Boston pot at an antique shop for $4 and it is the greatest. If you are looking for something old fashioned, sometimes it's best to look for something old.

Chris_in_oslo

Thanks for that thought, aobenour. I bought recently bought some old cast iron, and now I'm thinking I should be on the lookout for old bean pots as well.

I make beans all the time and I use one of my Calphalon pots with good results, however every time I'm in Sonoma I visit a store called Bram which is dedicated to selling clay pots for cooking beans. They are pricey, which explains why I look and don't buy whenever I stop buy, but they are gorgeous. Here's a link to their website http://www.bramcookware...

...whenever I stop by (not buy).

Chris_in_oslo

Wow, Trena, that spot looks like a worthy field trip. I may have to stop buy [sic].

Chris_in_oslo

Oh, and for those that can't make the trip--I just noticed that the bean pots in Provisions are sources from Bram.

Dsc_0028

How about using an Emil Henry pot for beans? I'm curious because they are also clay pots, as I understand it. Is there a difference between EH and say the clay pots Bram offers?

cookbookchick - Bram cookware can be cooked in wood-fired ovens. Emil Henry pots cannot exceed 480 degrees fahrenheit. I was curious so I searched both manufacturers respective website.

Chris_in_oslo

Actually, I do use an Emile Henry pot for beans, and so maybe I'm all set (or could add to that collection). What's been interesting me about some of these traditional bean pots is their shapes. I'm going to do some more research on this, so additional input will be helpful.

I've always wanted to buy a bram to make this dish by Dorie Greenspan. Could be great for Thanksgiving.
http://doriegreenspan.com...

Dsc_0028

Thanks, Trena! Interesting..

Chris_in_oslo

Just so we don't dis Emile Henry: they are good to 500°C/930°F, and you can put them from freezer to wood oven. Maybe Trena's info was for their ovenware rather than the flameware?

Chris_in_oslo

Forgot an Emile Henry web reference with the temps. http://www.emilehenryusa...

Chris_in_oslo

Ah! I found it. It's their DISHES that can't go above 480°C. Not the cookware.

Dsc_0028

Aha! Thanks, Chris! Next time I cook beans I'll be using my trusty green EH pot.

Thanks for all this info, everyone. Very helpful.

Dsc00859_2

Well, I did use my clay La Chamba pot for beans. It is more of an oval covered roaster. I cooked on top of the stove, but kept it warm in the oven later. Beans were delicious, even though very simply prepared.