🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Is there an easy way to peel hazelnuts? I usually toast them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes, then rub them together in a tea towel, but I often find that only some of the skins come off and it seems like a very labor-intensive process. Anybody have a better way?

asked by cookinginvictoria almost 4 years ago
Dsc03010

I have learned so much from Julia Child cookbooks and TV shows: Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda to 2 cups boiling water. Add hazelnuts and boil for about 3 minutes. Slip a test nut into a bowl of ice water. If the skin doesn’t come off easily, boil the nuts a little longer. When a test skin rubs right off, add the rest of the nuts to the ice water and peel. Spread the nuts on kitchen or paper towels, then toast them in the oven.

Besides making hazelnuts easier to peel, it also makes your kitchen towels easier to launder.

Image

betteirne, you are a genius!

Hhhmm! I may have to test this method tonight. I have some good brussels sprouts already and hazlenuts are a local product so....

Dsc03010

drbabs, thanks, but it's not all me. . .It was Julia's brainchild, and I'm just the messenger. I was hesitant to try this because I was worried that the hazelnuts would have a boiled flavor, but they really don't cook at all.

I forgot to mention that the ice water should be poured through a strainer so that the skins don't clog your drain.

Cimg0737

Wow, thanks betteirene! I can't wait to try Julia's and your method.

To give credit where it's due, it's Alice Medrich's method, demonstrated in the Baking with Julia TV series and later, the book of the same title.

It really does work; there's a funny moment in the TV show where Julia herself marvels at it.

Dsc03010

You're right, sfmiller. At first, I was going to give all the credit to Dorie Greenspan, but I heard Julia's voice in my head. I totally forgot about Alice Medrich. Thanks.