Is there difference between smoky paprika and spicy paprika?

asked by Kymberly 10 months ago
Farmer's_market

Smoked paprika (pimenton) - usually from Spain, is 'dulce' ('sweet,' i.e., mild as opposed to hot.) Maybe there's hot smoked too, but I've never seen it. Hungarian paprika comes in many varieties, with varying characteristics, amongst them sweet (mild) to hot - but traditionally, not smoked. Hope that helps !

Chris_in_oslo

Pimenton de lat Vera, Spanish smoked paprika comes three ways--the dulce that amysarah has seen, bittersweet, and hot. The smoky flavors of all of them are pretty different from the Hungarian paprikas. Give them a try!

Chris_in_oslo

Very true, they are not just sprinkled on for color. My experience is that some people love them from the first taste and use them on everything. Others, me included, use them more selectively.

When referring to Spanish, it's pimenton, not paprika, although get's mixed up quite a lot in cookbooks and on supermarket lables. In the real world, if you live in the real world, you will find a whole spectrum of flavors as in "agridulce", "ahumado", "picante" etc. One of my personal favorites is piment d'espelette which comes from the Basque region but just over the French side of the frontier. I use these varieties on an almost daily basis. The supermarket stuff just doesn't measure up.

Chris_in_oslo

I firmly believe that piment d'espelette is in yet another category. It's a perfect finish for a whole lot of dishes and pretty welcomed all round.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Hi Kymberly, click on this past hotline question link for more information about the different types of paprika and usage.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Here's the link: https://food52.com/hotline...