🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

If using a roasting bag for the turkey, will there be drippings? I plan to brine it, rinse it, let it dry over night in fridge. will it get crispy??

will the bottom be soggy?

asked by shahira 11 months ago
Baci1

My sister does this with her turkey. If I remember correctly, you will get drippings, but not the crispy skin. I don't remember her complaining that the bottom gets soggy, but I do know that the meat is extremely moist, even the breast portion.

Stringio

Forget the roasting bag. Drying overnight will help ensure crispy skin as will using a shallow pan with turkey on a rack. You'll have drippings, but watch that they do not burn- add water to pan if needed. If using drippings for gravy, taste before adding any additional salt.

Skip the bag as you are risking disaster. My brother did this one year and what came out of the oven resembled turkey stew. But then my brother is a terrible cook. I was summoned to the kitchen but it was already beyond repair.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Also, if you brine it, you'll get salty drippings, so be careful! Buy and roast an extra wing, and the neck, in a separate pan for the best gravy drippings in these circumstances. (The advantage to that: you can do it, and make gravy, the day before Thanksgiving.) ;o)

Image

I've had, and enjoyed, turkey cooked in a bag. Moist and tasty , but definitely nothing crispy about the skin. So what I did when asked to "take over the kitchen " a couple if years ago was took it out of the bag, retain the juices for the gravy, dried off the skin with paper towel and put the bird back in the oven to crisp the skin.
Turned out great. Brine? not when your bagging it. There's enough moisture in the bag.

Image

Put some root veggies, or a slatted tray, under the bird (in the bag) to keep the bottom out of the liquid.