🔔
🔎

canning caramel sauce

I know that the FDA does not recommend making caramel sauce and canning it at home, saying there isn't a high enough acidity to preserve it. BUT at shops I always see caramel sauces in glass jars, meaning they weren't pressure cooked. I used to work for a woman who made caramel sauces professionally and, while she wouldn't hand over her recipe, I helped her make it and it really wasn't so hard. I know there was a bit of baking soda in it to balance the PH but other than that the ingredients were similar to what I make at home when I don't can it. However I can't find a recipe anywhere, and I'd really like one to use for Christmas gifts this year. Help!

asked by Clairelivia about 1 year ago

I'm assuming you're talking about canning by the boiling water bath method, and all I can say is please don't try this. It's not just the acidity or lack thereof, it's the fact that caramel sauce contains dairy, and it's not safe to home can food containing dairy products, even using a pressure canner. It is possible by commercial canning methods, obviously. And by the way, the fact that something is in glass doesn't mean it wasn't pressure canned; that's what you use if you're pressure canning at home.

Stringio

Thanks Donna for your answer. The reason I'm asking is because I used to work for a dessert sauce company and we made it regularly without any special equipment. So I know it's possible to do at home if done carefully. That company wouldn't give me their recipe though and I want to be sure to be careful with it as I know the risks.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I'd love to know the name of the company you worked for, Claire, so I can be sure to avoid their caramel sauce. They're really taking a risk if they don't use any special canning equipment.

Waffle3

I'd rather receive a lump of coal for Christmas than a case of botulism.

Gator_cake

Maybe change tactics and make caramels instead of sauce?

Waffle3

Brilliant, HLA.

P1291120

Or, go ahead and make it, but keep it in the fridge at all times and assume a short (dairy related) shelf life.

Open-uri20141026-31111-1l0hnae
added about 1 month ago

What about non-dairy (Vegan) caramel sauce?