TWINKLE FOR YOUR TABLE. SHOP NOW »

A question about a recipe: Homemade Green Bean Casserole

D685f74c c0fe 45e9 9d07 96570eccf5ca  green bean casserole

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Green Bean Casserole" from brooke's kitchen. Hello! This recipe looks delicious. I would like to know what if any parts of this recipe can be done ahead of time, such as the night before. Thanks!

asked by Mom SL over 2 years ago

You could make the casserole 24-36 hours in advance, keep it refrigerated. Be sure to let it sit at room temperature for at least an hour to get the chill off before putting it in the oven. Ideally, put the onion rings on top just before you put the casserole into the oven - that will keep the onion rings crispier.

Sorry, I hadn't read the recipe closely enough. I thought it was a re-make of the classic using ready-made onion rings. I think you could refrigerate the casserole with the fried shallots on top at the same time. If you don't have time to do the fried shallots, yes, of course you can cheat and use ready-made onion rings. I'd put those on top just before the casserole goes into the oven.