🔔
🔎

I am making a christmas dinner for three and need suggestions for something stellar but small…help?

asked by vanessa davis 10 months ago

omg, this is the dream dinner. Only three!

What is your budget? Any preferences for meat vs fish, etc.?

And do you have any help in the kitchen or do you need to have the meal ready, more or less, before all sit down to eat?

Vanessa - I'm cooking for 2, just hubby and me. I'm making prime rib with mashed potatoes and gravy and sauteed mushrooms. Here's the recipe I'm using http://food52.com/recipes...

Yes, Trena! Prime Rib is awesome. Vanessa, is it in your budget?

Do you eat meat? Or would you prefer seafish? So many classic seafood dishes for Christmas.

If you like scallops, here's a classic version of Coquilles St. Jacques, often served at Christmas. There are versions out there that use Gruyere or other cheese to make it more like a gratin, but that's blasphemy and ruins the poor scallops - don't add cheese!
http://www.epicurious.com...

It's a rich dish, so you might want to do any sides very simply, like a steamed green vegetable. Peas and lettuce would be in keeping with the French bent. With a nice salad and good baguette, that would be a lovely meal.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

A small beef tenderloin is wonderful with béarnaise sauce. Classic wedge salad with blue cheese & cheesy tomatoes or a pear gorgonzola candies pecan salad & creamy mashed potatoes and sautéed garlic spinach. So many choices, but this is treat for my husband & I.

If you prefer beef, a small Beef Wellington with a killer sauce would be great.
With potatoes gratin: http://food52.com/blog...
A steamed green veg (string beans, asparagus, peas, broccoli) with a little butter, salt & pepper
A festive salad (add fresh or dried fruit, nuts, cheese)

For the Beef Wellington, Cook's Illustrated has a great recipe. (In fact they have a whole menu to go with the Beef W.) But you need to sign up for their 14-day trial to access the recipe and for this category of recipes, you have to provide a credit card number. You can cancel online before the end of the 14-day period. But they have how-to photos, pix, you know the recipe has been well-tested, etc. So it's worth the little bit of work.

Beef_wellington

Souffle! Julia Child's instructions are excellent. A salad with bitter greens and citrus or pomegranate, some nice bread, and some roasted squash would go well along side that.

I'm cooking a small dinner for four (including myself). The menu is:
Peppadew peppers stuffed with Cowgirl Creamery cheese
Escarole soup
Olive stuffed duck breast, radically adapted from a Richard Olney recipe.
Panettone

Chris_in_oslo

We're also having stuffed duck breast but I haven't figured out the rest of the meal yet. Which Cowgirl Creamery cheese are you using, pierino?

Chris, I'm using their Chimney Rock. I really wanted to use their Pierce Point---the one wrapped in nettles---but it seems to be gone for the season.

Chris_in_oslo

I like the nettle one too, but I think it's their spring cheese. I was thinking that Devil's Gulch would be a good option for stuffed peppers--every now and then you get a pop of heat from the pepper flakes.

I second the rack of lamb. I've done that before with the chops cut into individual chops. Marinaded in balsamic vinegar, garlic and oil.
And cooked over a bed of oak in the fire place with a rigged up BBQ castiron grill from outside and bricks.

Then a salad with blue cheese (or feta), pomegranate seeds, walnuts and greek or lemon based dressing. Christmas Rice, lightly sauteed zucchinis, and Humus and naan bread grilled on the oak fire.

Theres a porcini crusted tenderloin, which I've made with success. It would be great with some spinach simply sautéed with garlic, and a potato galette. Something light to start (carrot soup, thinly sliced persimmons paired with ricotta or goat cheese) and would round things out well. (some dessert ideas that spring to mind are fall flavored ice cream and or a fruit crisp)

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

My mom made a delicious and super easy pork tenderloin with saffron. I think it's Ecuadorian. My father has her recipes and can't see well enough to find it and read it to me. It's kind of expensive because of the saffron. I also make a pork tenderloin with an apricot/chili salsa on the side that is also deliious. Pork tenderloin is an undersung hero. It's more flavorful than a beef tenderloin, also cheaper and more petite and takes to bold flavoring well. With the pork, one of the amazing dishes from the potato contest, maybe a gratin, another vegetable, a salad and an extravaganza dessert like individual trifles. Champagne. I also have made an Elizabeth David recipe for pork tenderloin sliced and pan sautéed with prunes, can't remember which book but I think French Provincial Cooking. Please let us know yr menu, the only three part sounds so fun since you can make things that aren't practical for a crowd.