🔎

What is the best way to cook this?? The girl at the grocery store gave it to me because I thought it was neat.

161088610-6f407d9e9dbe4155a07042bfebceae9f.4c8d6980-scaled
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

This is Romanesco broccoli, and you can cook it just like cauliflower. I love it, and use it all the time in the fall. I like to cut it into small pieces (each spiral is like a floret) and steam it, then I make a warm bagna cauda sauce for dipping. http://bit.ly/dnQkRN

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You could also roast the florets, or steam the florets and make a cheese sauce and bake it in a gratin (again, just like you might do with cauliflower). Hope this is helpful!

Lnd_jen
lastnightsdinner added over 3 years ago

Amanda's suggestions all sound great. As for me, I'm big a fan of using it in a gratin: http://www.flickr.com/photos...

gingerroot added over 3 years ago

I had one in my CSA box a few months ago - I roasted it and made a Romanesco-pasta-cheese casserole - it was delicious and my little ones loved it.

lallimusic added over 3 years ago

i love it cooked till v. tender with garlic, olive oil, red chile flakes, and a little anchovy. amazing as is, even better tossed into some spaghetti with plenty of pecorino on top

P7260130
LouisaBaer added over 3 years ago

My standard is olive oil, salt, and lots of pepper, and browned under the broiler. Seriously much more interesting than you might guess. Incidentally, also my standard for broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, etc. etc.

hallolynn added over 3 years ago

All of this is super helpful. I am going to try the bagna cauda sauce tonight. Then back to Whole Foods for another one just to try another option.
Thank you foodpickle!!

hallolynn added over 3 years ago

I made it! Loved the taste. My husband was afraid to eat the Romanesco broccoli but now he is a fan!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

So glad -- it's been fun following this thread, and glad it had a happy ending!