Chinese baked bbq pork buns

I have some frozen char siu bao (chinese bbq pork buns) where the directions are to steam. No problem - but, I want the top to be finished like a baked bbq bun.
Can I steam them, cool to room temp, then brush with an egg wash and pop in the over to get the tops nice and brown ???
(photo shows the top glazed rather than the white-white finish when steamed)

asked by bigpan 7 months ago
Photo_squirrel

My thoughts are
1) the doughs are different. I believe baked has egg and steamed does not. i don't THINK they can be interchanged but i'm sure there will be a certain answer offered eventually. I wonder if you could try SEARING the tops in a thin bit of hot oil?
2) a good dumplings BLOG w/ photos:
http://www.asiandumplingtips...

Bigpan

Yes, different doughs. I did a "test" last night and the dough for these is more like a progie dough. IF only I could read Mandarin or Cantonese I would understand the package better.
I appears I am going to have to make from scratch - or drive to the big city and get some from a Chinese bakery.
Thanks for guidance.

Cleo-lea_2

Le Bec Fin is absolutely correct. The Baked and steamed buns are two different doughs - the buns you have are the one for steamed BBQ Buns - the dough is made of flour, water, sugar and yeast. The "Baked" version has egg in the dough - a hold over from the Colonial days. The Steamed version will not brown up like the baked version.

Cleo-lea_2

P.S. The regular steamed version is a ???. The version you're looking for is the
????.