A question about a recipe: Maialino's Olive Oil Cake

2013-1216_genius_maialino-olive-oil-cake_final-017-alt

I have a question about the recipe "Maialino's Olive Oil Cake" from Genius Recipes. New to baking and live at ~5500 ft. Has anyone tried this successfully with high-altitude modifications? If so, what did you do?

asked by Kate 7 months ago

Kate, I'm not familiar with high-alt cooking myself. But if you do a Google search on "Cooking at a high altitude" you'l get plenty of answers.

For you elevation, increase the flour by 7%, add an extra egg, and decrease the leavening by 44%

Photo

Thanks, Cynthia! Where do you get such precise numbers? I would love to know your source.

I've either lived or baked or both at a variety of elevations, and also wrote the High Altitude Baking section of the Bakers Dozen Cookbook, a book compiled from members of a professional bakers group I belong to. I'm glad the information helped you. Happy baking!

Hi Kate! I'm in Colorado too. Let me know how it goes. I am always hoping for more patience when it comes to baking, altitude and precision.

A lovely cookbook called Pie in the Sky has a wide range of recipes with instructions for various heights. The recipes are good, and the charts make it easy to adapt your own favorites.

Photo

Thanks for the help everyone! I used Cynthia's recommendation and it turned out beautifully. It did take an extra ~7 minutes for the cake tester to come out clean, not sure if that's related. But I brought it to a "sparkle party" where it got a lot of compliments and went perfectly with all the bubbly drinks!

Yes, I suspect that the additional time is related to your elevation. Cheers to you for your great success!