🔔
🔎

Pickles! I forgot to buy black bean sauce today - need a substitute if possible??? Something likely to be in the pantry ...

asked almost 4 years ago
Stringio

hoisin, miso paste mixed with some soy sauce and sesame oil/rice vinegar, actual mashed black beans mixed with miso paste and a bit of soy/rice vinegar...

Uruguay2010_61

What are you trying to make? What is your idea with the black bean sauce?

036

I am making a spincah satueed with garlic, fish sauce, jalapenos and bean sauce ... I am going to start with testkitchenette's idea and taste and adjust (love flying by the seat of my pant!) ... thanks!!!!

I like the miso/soy idea, but would consider reducing the soy first so you get sufficient bang for your buck without adding too much liquid.

036

Thanks you guys for your help - it came out great! I started with beans (duh :-) and then did the old add / taste / add method - zest from an orange, juice from half of it, dash of tamari, dash of fish sauce, crushed red pepper, a dab of dark miso paste, minced garlic, fresh minced ginger, a splash of vinegar. I will never have to buy it again!

Desktop3

I prepared this recipe this evening with garbanzo beans I had in the fridge. I used Shiro Miso and did not use enough. I have hatcho miso and should have used it but I am trying new types of meals on hubby and wanted to keep it mild. I think I should have used more miso though. I used chili sesame oil and forgot the ginger! All in all it wasn't bad and hubby loved it.