50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

Simple curing brine formula?

Hi guys,
Is there a simple salt to meat to water formula for creating a brine to cure small amounts of meat?

Most of the recipes I can find assume I'm working with more than 12 pounds, but I only have a couple of ounces. Yes, I do think it's worth the effort of curing such a small batch, it's a lambs tongue, so tiny, but needs to be in the brine today while it's still fresh.

I would love a simple, go to recipe for small amounts of brine that can have different spices added later - something like, per 1 oz meat, make a brine with x weight of (regular) salt and y volume water, cure for (about) z days. Anyone know a recipe like this? Please help.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked about 2 years ago
4992abb2 70b6 4d52 9762 cd9db33f05de  avatar
alp.aker

Alp is a senior software engineer at Food52

You can take any brining recipe and divide the salt and water measurements by the same factor, but keep the brining time the same.

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

You ll find the best guideline in Cooksilustrated.com

For 3 lbs of skinless and boneless breast of chicken, my best formula is 8 cups water plus 1/4 cup each table salt and sugar. Refrigerate for exactly 45 to 60 minutes. No less. Then rinse several times. I rinse 5 times.

559b7954 d7be 4065 8a51 4b2c9c58102d  lardofavon

A classic 1:1 brine is 1 cup of table salt to a gallon of water. In that there are 16 cups in a gallon & 16 tablespoons in a cup, this makes it very easy to scale a brine by the cup. So for every 1 cup of water use 1 tablespoon of table salt, or for every 1/3 cup of water use 1 teaspoon of table salt. The key here is table salt. If using kosher or sea salt, which weighs less by volume, you would need to increase the salt by 1.5-2x.