what is Fluffernutter?

asked by ladderlegs about 1 month ago
20140820_134313
added about 1 month ago

I haven't thought of this since I was a kid. It's a sandwich with peanut butter and marshmallow cream made with white bread.

added about 1 month ago

yes, PB and marshmallow fluff. I think the bread can be of your choosing, and oddly, I think I'd prefer something more grainy to cut the sweetness. I feel that way about PB&J as well. Love it on a good multigrain bread.

20140820_134313
added about 1 month ago

For me, it's one of those childhood memories. Jayna Fox's mom always made it on white bread. Probably Wonder bread. It was the sixties. :0) My mom never bought white bread or marshmallow fluff..she was ahead of her time.

Image
added about 1 month ago

When I was a kid , I always thought of this as a New England Thing. Huge bowls of both peanut butter and marshmallow fluff with loaves of bread on the table on the cooks night off at my Eisenhower era summer camp. No one seemed to question whether this was a healthy meal. Also I don't remember a single kid with a peanut allergy .

Stringio
added about 1 month ago

Try it on toast......oh, the memories!

added about 1 month ago

I recently saw a jar of Marshmallow Fluff at Cost Plus World Market (of all places!) and was inspired to make my kids fluffernutters, which I hadn't thought about for years. When I asked my son how he liked it he said: "Too sweet!" which shocked me, given how much sugar is in everything theses days. But I must confess that I ate a couple bites, and loved it - was transported right back to 1975.

Farmer's_market
added about 1 month ago

My mother wasn't a fluffernutter kind of mom - it was sort of a new sensation when I was a kid, but I only even had peanut butter at friends' places and summer camp. But when I finally did taste fluff after long lusting after it, I didn't like it - way too sweet. Never had a huge sweet tooth, but I remember being kind of deflated by the reality of it vs. the fantasy...maybe a life lesson!

Melissa_mitchell
added about 1 month ago

The best school lunch of all time.