🔔
🔎

Let's try it out, shall we? Dear foodpickle, what is the minimym G-force necessary to clarify duck stock in a centrifuge within 5 minutes?

asked by @seattlefoodgeek about 4 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Very funny. :)

Img__631-1_(1)

what is the size/volume of the centrifuge? But really why would you want to clarify it that way when some egg whites, ground duck meat and veggies(the raft) add so much to the final product and you get to see some cool science when the raft rises to the top and no heavy equipment necessary.

Headshot_square_white_1024px

Let's say 8 fluid ounces. And yes, I *could* clarify it with a raft, but a raft won't work for clarifying pea juice, for example, which introduces the need for a centrifuge. And as long as I've got a centrifuge lying around (I don't yet, but wishful thinking), I'll probably want to get my money's worth out of it. Since it was expensive, I'm probably not going to spend the extra cash on the ingredients for a raft, so I'll need to clarify via other methods. And then I'll notice the giant centrifuge in my kitchen, which would probably do the trick. But alas, I won't know if my centrifuge will produce adequate G-forces for clarifying this stock, so I'll tweet @foodpickle to try to find out :-)

Img__631-1_(1)

if you are in the market for a centrifuge I have two for sale. One is in my barn and it is the larger of the two. It is used to separate the mash from the shine before we clarify it and age it, the other is a table top version made by Waring. The later is more expensive but cheaper to ship.

Monkeys

As with many experiments sometimes you just don't know the answer until you try it yourself. I think this is one of those cases because the variables in either pea juice or your particular duck stock would be numerous and not consistent from kitchen (or lab) to kitchen.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

It's been a while since I've used a centrifuge to clarify duck stock but I'm pretty sure the answer is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow (African or European) divided by 42.

Img__631-1_(1)

Oh yeah I remember that formula from my days at the Culinary Institute of the Round Table. If I remember right it makes 1 Holy Grail cup.

Headshot_square_white_1024px

Help, Help! I'm being repressed!!

Img__631-1_(1)

Not so much repressed but more we are farting in your general direction. Like your site SFG.