🔕 🔔

There is a restaurant chain called Olga's that makes gyro sandwiches. Their pita bread is cooked fresh--or, at least it used to be, things change. But the bread was soft and did not have a pocket. They serve the fillings in the folded over bread. I don't know if this is authentic to middle eastern cuisine, but it is delicious. Does anyone have a similar recipe for this kind of bread?

asked by jayne_brown almost 5 years ago
E4b7660b-f3f6-4873-bd6d-2130a16403fb--img_1088

Here's lapadia's pita recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I've made them and they're really good. But they do have a pocket. I've had the pitas you describe (we call them puffy pitas) and I'm curious to see if anyone else has a recipe because those are my favorite.

0f493ab9-068f-4498-ba2c-95c992214d52--sit2

It's probably a thicker style of Lavash bread. The authentic is thin with a cracker like taste, but still soft, but there is a Gryo place around here that uses that type of bread (made in house). Try that as a starting search point.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

I think what you want is sometimes called Greek Pitta - thicker with no pocket, soft & pliable. Try a grilled flatbread (I make Mark Bittman's Lebanese flatbread-great and the dough keeps in refer a day or 2). It can be made as thick or thin as you want and I just grill on a stove top griddle. It's really easy, come out pliable and wraps well around gyros or kebabs.

2269774e-64e7-47ec-8fb3-d6fb03cce199--debbykalk-photo

In Greece, they serve souvlaki sliced right off the skewer into a waiting pita - no attempt to use the pockets, just the whole puffy round pita with a dollop of tzatziki on top, then folded over, like a wrap.