I have some extra corn on the cob - any ideas on something quick to make that I can freeze for later?  Not corn chowder please!! Thx!

asked by saltandpeppersf over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

How about corn ice cream? http://www.epicurious.com...
You could also just remove the kernels from the corn, blanch, then freeze them for later. My parents used to freeze corn from our garden every summer.

As mentioned freeze them. And use in recipes. IMHO..freeze them intact..with a quick blanch. They keep better intact in the freezer.

Here's a quick one. But don't freeze it. Use the kernels.
A can of black beans---drained. Corn kernels. Parsley (or cilantro). Chopped cherry tomatoes (optional).

Lime juice and olive oil..a touch of cumin, salt and pepper. And let sit overnight...to be served as a room temp salad.

It's also way to early in the season to worry about corn on the cob.

Stringio

Remove the corn from the cob (save cobs in freezer for making vegetable/stock) and freeze. Add when making corn bread/muffins/pancakes.

Port2

You can make a fresh corn polenta. Remove the kernels from the corn being careful to preserve tiny bits and juices. In a pot, cover with whole milk and water (50-50) and simmer with with about a fourth as much coarsly milled corn flour (polenta.) Add salt and black pepper to taste and the leaves of a few sprigs of thyme. Eat and enjoy (with some mascarpone mixed in) or freeze and enjoy later.

Here's link to Dorie Greenspan's corniest corn muffins--they use corn kernels and cornmeal and are not too sweet.
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

It combines well with quinoa---foods of the Americas. The kernals will look nice with a red quinoa. I don't know why I'm on a "red" theme lately. But citrus zest, grated carrot and pine nuts could also be worked in.

I like Sam1148's idea of the mixture with the black beans...except add 1 tbsp minced jalapeno (or pablano chili for less heat) and 1/4cup chopped scallion or shallot and serve with scrambled eggs in a corn tortilla as huevos rancheros for breakfast, brunch or even dinner.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Slice the kernels raw from the cob, spread them out on waxed paper, and freeze. After a few hours, you can transfer them to a freezer bag and keep them a good 3 months in the freezer. I do this every autumn with a bunch of cobs, so I have that fresh-off-the-cob flavor through the winter (and I don't have to buy expensive frozen corn from the grocery). You don't need to blanch it first; it actually works better if you do it with raw kernels.

Imag0055

Corn fritters. Or scrape the cobs and put the kernels in regular pancakes. Or mix with lima beans for a fast succotash. Freeze the kernels for soup or shepherds pie or chili.

Niki

Thanks everyone!! So many wonderful ideas!