🔎

• 3

• 1969

• See other questions tagged:
    • cabbage

A question about a recipe: Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage how high heat while cabbage cooks, should you cover it?

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage" from fiveandspice. It says:

"Stir in the ginger and cook for about a minute. Then, add in the cabbage, stirring well to coat it with the butter and other flavors. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes, until the cabbage has softened and caramelized."

112210f_317
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Medium heat -- you may want to increase it toward the end to help with the caramelization.

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

If you start off too hot, you'll start to burn the sugars in the dish, rather than caramelize them. and no, I wouldn't cover it.

RobertaJ added about 3 years ago

Yeah, no cover with medium heat. The higher heat is trying to cook it carmelized and crisp, not stewed and soft like low heat with a cover would do. But do keep an eye on it, all stoves, and all pans, and combinations thereof, are different.