🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken)

021511f_084

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken) " from FrancesRenHuang. It says:

"Mix together the marination with the meat; set aside while preparing the rest. *Can put in fridge for the day."

Is "the marination" the ingredients listed for tenderizing the meat?

asked by annaclarice over 3 years ago
Image

Yes.

Rays-2

Yes, I'm sure she means the marinade.

I am so going to try that. The technique she listed for the marinade is known as "velveting". http://chinesefood.about...
It's extremely useful for stir fries.
At it's simplest it's a cornstarch egg wash soak.
A very quick fry in the oil to seal..and drain and return to finish with the veggies and sauce. It seals in the moisture of the chicken/shrimp/pork, preventing overcooked and dry chicken. Very versatile tech, and keeps the chicken very moist and tender.

Image

I made it; it was great. It amazes me how Amanda and Merrill and the Food52 elves manage to find these fabulous recipes with all the recipes being posted every day.

Lake___nicky-1061

Yes, maybe I should change it to 'velveting' the chicken. Sorry guys!