🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Spiced Chocolate Pots de Creme with Candied Bacon and Maple Cream

Dsc_6140-1

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Spiced Chocolate Pots de Creme with Candied Bacon and Maple Cream" from kmartinelli. It says:

"Pour the custard into 6 to 8 ramekins, pots de creme cups, or other small oven-safe vessels. Transfer the ramekins to a roasting or baking pan. Pour in hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, poke two holes in opposite corners, and carefully put in the oven." I've never heard of putting plastic and then baking them. Won't it melt?

asked by Franca almost 4 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

I don't believe that any U.S. manufacturer recommends using plastic wrap in the oven. But if people are going to use it anyway, I think the conventional wisdom is not to use it at temperatures higher than 325. And be sure to use microwave-safe plastic wrap. Personally, I'd go with aluminum foil.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I would NOT put plastic wrap in a 325 degree oven -- sounds like you could end up with a melted, smelly mess. Maybe the recipe author could chime in here? Maybe she meant parchment paper?