Uses for stale, dense wheat bread?

I made (my first) all-wheat bread and it's a pretty dense. I'm dutifully eating it with eggs, peanut butter, etc, but I'd love to repurpose it as breadcrumbs or bread pudding or something. Are there any recipes using old-ish bread that dense wheat bread would work well with? Thanks!

asked by tizzle over 3 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

How about ripping it up into chunks, dousing it in olive oil and salt, toasting the croutons in the oven, low and slow, until they're golden brown and tossing them all into a food processor. Voila whole wheat breadcrumbs, which would be delicious tossed whole wheat spaghetti, parsley, and grated lemon zest. Nice and healthy pasta, no?

French Toast? Apple Brown Betty? Panzenella Salad? Coating for fried chicken or pork chops?

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Bread_salad_sm I have the perfect one: make a bread salad.

Cut or tear the bread into chunks. Put into a bowl. Grate a tomato on top, or combine fresh and canned tomato. Add capers, lemon, oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper. I don't eat dairy, but you could also crumble feta on top at this point. (I would do cashew ricotta instead!)

The liquid ingredients will soak down to the bread and make it the perfect texture. You can also play around with the recipe and add other ingredients you might have around. I have seen it done with sprouts, and there is a breakfast version with chopped egg.

It is a Greek dish that you usually use Cretan barley rusks for, but I have used stale wheat bread and it is equally awesome! If it is dense, that is actually better!

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Bread_salad_sm here's the photo of one version I had in Athens.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Bread_salad_sm Ok. One more try! The picture is worth it.

Lnd_jen

I love panade - here are a couple of different takes on the dish:

http://www.thewednesdaychef...

http://www.nytimes.com...

Debbykalk-photo

Another easy route to croutons: cut into chunks, toss with melted butter and sauteed garlic, add some herbs, spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350. Check towards the end so as to not over-do it. When cool, store in a tight container or freeze. Toss into salads, soups, etc. I think the whole wheat gives a nutty and hearty flavor.

Cimg0737

Croutons and bread crumbs are great ideas. I also thought that thirschfeld's Rustic Olive and Lemon Cocotte looked like a great way to use up leftover bread. I haven't made it yet, but I hope to soon! It looks very yummy. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I'm all for bread pudding. One of my favorites, but something I rarely do because, well, done right it's just not very good for you. The quality of the bread you use makes such a difference, so go for it!

Wow, thanks everyone! I love that so many of these suggestions are savory. Can't wait to experiment!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet