🔔
🔎

Please help me convert bittersweet chocolate into semisweet chocolate

So I have BITTERsweet chocolate and the recipe I'm making calls for SEMIsweet chocolate. How much sugar would I add to bring it from bitter to semi? To make the math easy, assume I'm working with exactly 1 pound of chocolate.

Thanks in advance for the answer! ;-)

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked almost 4 years ago
Gator_cake

They can be used interchangeably. The only rule for labeling as bittersweet or semisweet as that it must have at least 35% cacao. Different companies have different percentages and the bittersweet and semisweet products overlap, typically in the 60% cacao range. No crazy math needed!

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

The terms seem to be fairly interchangeable, since there aren't strict math-friendly rules about cocoa:sugar ratios. Any chance you can add sugar to taste? Here's a bit more from Serious Eats on confusing chocolate labels: http://bit.ly/h2pzGi

I just prefer to use the bittersweet as is too. If it is higher cacao %, it will just be that much better. I even used 1/3rd unsweetened 72% that I though was bittersweet in error, in a brownie bites recipe and they were devestatingly good.

I 'd just use less of it in the reicpe. What are you making?