🔎

A question about a recipe: Bagna Cauda Salad

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Bagna Cauda Salad" from amanda. It says:

"In a mortar and pestle (or in a mini food processor or blender), pound the anchovy, garlic, and a large pinch of salt to a paste. Slowly beat in the lemon juice, followed by the olive oil, adding it in drops so the dressing has time to emulsify. Season to taste with salt, and add more lemon juice or oil if needed."

can i use anchovy paste? or is that illegal? also, what would be a similar amount of paste per anchovy, if substitution is legal?

5475456062_5aaebc1182_z
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Not quite as good, but totally legal, so go for it! Usually it's 1 anchovy fillet equals 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste.

wandajune6 added about 3 years ago

I'm a bit addicted and have made it three times now. Anchovies are better than the paste but it definitely works. And, for vegetarians, olive paste is a decent substitute. It's not the same flavor but definitely very appealing!