🔎

• 6

• 3720

So I made granola bars, but they turned out too dry. What can I add as moisture/a binding agent?

Ladyhawke82
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

What kind of fat is in your recipe?

Sam1148 added about 3 years ago

Peanut, or almond butter and Honey for sure. Maybe applesauce. Figs, raisins, apricots, Any dried fruit that's not completely dry. 'tho I haven't tried it..you could soak the oats in a bit of honey water beforehand.

Kawi
ladyhawke82 added about 3 years ago

@amanda Butter. The problem was that I forgot to melt it beforehand, & added it softened to the oats.

@Sam Should I just crumble the bars, re-mix, & re-bake?

Dsc03010
betteirene added about 3 years ago

When you say "granola bars," is it a synonym for "health food"? If it is, read no further.

Go here: http://en.wikibooks.org... Follow the recipe for Fudge Caramel, cooking it to 240-245 degrees F. Allow it to cool slightly. Butter a piece of parchment and use it to line an 8"x8" pan. Pour six cups of granola into a mixing bowl. Drizzle a cup of caramel over it and stir, adding additional caramel by small spoonfuls until all the granola is covered. Press the mixture into the pan and allow to cool. Cut into bars while still pliable, wrap in parchment and store at room temperature practically indefinitely.

Or use melted butter and marshmallows.

I make my own granola using oatmeal, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, coconut, almonds or pecans, raisins and dried cranberries with corn oil and honey or brown sugar as the binder.

Sam1148 added about 3 years ago

@ladyhawke82.

I'd just start over if you going for bars.
But you can save the dried bars. Smash them up in a ziplock, store in the freezer and use as a crunchy topping for yogurt or ice cream, cooked oats, popcorn balls, rice crispy treats etc..etc.. The dryness would work with you there.

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added about 3 years ago

Use a combination of binding agents for the best results. Definitely start over.

For the softest bars, I go by the rule of Three, one part liquid sweetener, one part nut butter, one part fat. You'll need to use a liquid sweetener (honey, brown rice syrup, golden syrup, maple syrup. Corn syrup would work, I don't like using it because it has no taste). I generally use almond butter, cashew or hazelnut if I can find it. Macademia could be great, too. Then, fat. I recommend either melted butter or melted coconut oil.