🔎

• 9

• 9742

When are mushrooms bad? I've had them (sliced white button) under a week but they've gone a little moist.

Lakeline
Gator_cake

If they are getting brown and mushy, they are probably bad. I'd toss them to be on the safe side if you have any concern.

Ehanhan4
nomnivorous added about 3 years ago

Mushrooms often seem a little moist to me. It's when they get slimy and/or smelling especially funky that I'll toss them.

I agree, your hunch is probably accurate. Once they begin to go moist, slimy is not far away. Time for the compost bin!

5007573685_5b25987f89
lakeline added about 3 years ago

Thank you so much! I had a feeling, but wanted to make sure I wasn't pointlessly wasting them.

Chris_in_oslo

When I first took a mushroom class, my instructor had some statistics about more people getting sick from mushrooms gone bad than from poisonous ones. He said that a lot of people either don't want to waste or are just so enamored of specific mushrooms that they push it further than they would for other foods.

nutcakes added about 3 years ago

for future reference, mushrooms will keep better in a brown paper bad. At the very least, remove any plastic wrap and leave them open to the air in the fridge. They may shrivel a bit but they won't go slimey and fishy smelling.

Mushrooms go bad when they start shaking down school kids for their lunch money.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added about 3 years ago

The pre-sliced ones tend to go bad sooner than whole, too.

Pierino is good for the gold!