I want to make carving chicken easier - should I remove wishbone before or after roasting?

asked by Audree over 3 years ago
Stonecutting_32

I'd say do it before - that way the chicken meat is more pliable and not going to burn your fingers.

Gator_cake

I'm a big fan of butterflying the chicken before cooking. Merrill has great instructions for this: http://www.food52.com/recipes... Once the chicken is finished it's very easy to separate it into 4 parts (2 breasts, and 2 thigh/drum combos.)

I'm going with before, unless as hardlikearmour says, you're butterflying it.

The wishbone is inconsequential. If you are carving an unspatchcocked chicken, first cut off the appendages; thighs, legs, wings. After that I run the knife from the top down to completely remove the breast. Then I cut across the grain to slice. This way every one gets some crispy skin on their portion. What's better than crispy roast chicken skin?

Gator_cake

@ pierino: crispy roast duck skin?

@ hardlikearmour: later today, I'll be off in search of some great Chinese food. (or I'll be forced to make it myself!)

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Don't even bother with the wishbone. With a good pair of poultry shears you can cut right through the bone, unless you're saving the wishbone. In that case, I'd cut it out after it's roasted.

I need me some poultry shears. thanks magic pickle...and it wasn't even my question! : )