🔎

• 12

• 6077

Hey bakers - What's your favorite brand of dutch process cocoa? thanks!

Photo_418

I look for cocoa more for its fat content rather than brand. A good high-fat cocoa will have a fat content of up around 25%, whereas most commercial cocoas are in the 10-12% range. I usually have good luck finding it in bulk bin sections. Look on the nutrition label for the number of grams per serving (at the top), then find the grams of fat per serving. The math is grams of fat divided by total grams per serving. Alternatively, go to your favorite bakery and ask if you could buy a pound from them. They very likely order it in in bulk. Happy baking!

Gator_cake

I like the Penzey's high fat dutched cocoa.

Birdhouse-avatar-80x80
debbiet added about 3 years ago

I agree, Penzy's - I stay away from Dutch Process because it's "processed" more

Birdhouse-avatar-80x80
debbiet added about 3 years ago

here is the link for Penzy's natural cocoa
http://www.penzeys.com...

dewdropper added about 3 years ago

I vote for Droste. Comes in a charming red box with little dutch people on it. Makes the most amazing brownies ever, as well as the best hot cocoa.

RobertaJ added about 3 years ago

@debbiet, some recipes, due to the leavening used, actually NEED Dutch process cocoa, rather than natural cocoa, since the Dutch process is more alkali than the natural, and will react only with baking powder, not baking soda. If the recipe specifies Dutch process, it probably really needs it for the leaving reaction as much as for the taste.

That said, I too vote for Droste. It also seems to be the easiest to find. I too, prefer the natural powder in general, but again, if the recipe specifies Dutch process, it is not a simple one-for-one substitution.

Phoenix
Phoenix Helix added about 3 years ago

My favorite is Equal Exchange. It's an organic & fair trade brand, sold at the health food store, and the flavor is rich and wonderful. Win-win.

Roberta J is right. All compositions which include cocoa also contain baking soda, which reacts with the acid in the cocoa, neutralizing the acid and also creating some leavening. "Dutched" cocoa has been treated with an alkali, which breaks down some of the acid, and recipes calling for it will call for less baking soda. "Natural" (undutched) cocoa is higher in acidity, and will require more baking soda. If I use a recipe calling for dutched cocoa, but I only have natural (which I actually prefer), I increase the baking soda by 50%, and I've been very happy with the results.

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added about 3 years ago

My grocer sells a brand Dagoba- that I love, but it comes in very small container. I only break it out for special occasions.

Pam added about 1 month ago

Savory Spice Shop has a wonderful Dutch cocoa along with Black Onyx and Natural Cocoa here's the websitehttp://www.savoryspiceshop...

Stephanie G added about 1 month ago

Valrhona.

L1020855
CHeeb added about 1 month ago

King Arthur Flour also offers a really rich Black Cocoa. It gives my baked goods the "devil's food " color I love!!!