🔔
🔎

I couldn't find urad dal - what is a good substitute?

asked by RebeccaCooks over 3 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

Mung may be the closest, but given its glutinous nature & its tendency to whip up 'egg white-like' fluffy when ground into a batter, there really isnt anything close. Try looking for it in the Indian Grocery stores.

really depends what you're using it for. For example, urad is often used (especially in south indian recipes) as, essentially, a spice. A quick google seems to indicate a number of indian grocers in your area, and urad is basic enough that any should have. Rather go to one of them than try to substitute!

Scan0004

If you are interested in the flavors rather than authenticity, you can even sub yellow split peas from the supermarket. That said, you will have no trouble finding an Indian market near you. When I lived in SS (now over 30 years ago), there were several off of Rockville Pike/Hungerford Road. And if you don't get out, there's always the internet, but it is so liberating to find the real thing. We now have to travel 2 hours to find our Indian groceries, where we buy dal, spices, condiments, breads, yogurt, some produce, delicious halvah... It's great for hands on learning!

Scan0004

http://www.melroseflowers...
Here's a list of MD markets. Hope this helps.