🔎

Help me with how to use an appliance I've never used (in the kitchen)

So I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream and have recently moved into a teeny-tiny apartment in Manhattan. The kitchen is much bigger than I ever could have expected for the "big city" but I now find myself with a BATHTUB in the kitchen! (Apparently this isn't all that uncommon in certain neighborhoods).

Any ideas on how to use this unexpected kitchen treasure? Soups that are also good for soaks? Maybe I should peel carrots while I shower? Any and all ideas appreciated!

Events_-_0721
EarlyToBed added about 3 years ago

sounds like it might be the very same bathtub where my great-grandmother kept the fish before she made them into gefilte fish!

Fantastic question - I can already tell that the answers are going to be rich reading!

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added about 3 years ago

Upscale bathtub gin?

Stonecutting_32
littleknitter added about 3 years ago

Well, it certainly makes cooling down beverages for parties easier - just stick a bunch of ice in the tub, then put the wine/beer/sparkling soda/whatever in.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added about 3 years ago

If there's enough space in the rest of the kitchen, use it to grow your herbs. (you don't have to worry about runoff from watering the plants messing up the kitchen!
else cover it with a wooden board & use it for extra counter space & innovate from there.. (you can store other stuff below the board)
I'm assuming that you do have alternate shower facilities in the apartment.

036

brine and entire pig or a flock of turkeys!!!

Image

If you want a great read, read "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan. One of the characters lives in a NYC apartment with a bathtub in the kitchen.

macollins added about 3 years ago

Oh...this pickle reminds me of my very first Toronto apartment. It was above a bakery in a three storey, 100+ year old building...the kitchen and bathroom were barely divided, and the water heater took up half of the 'kitchen'. I liked to use my claw foot tub for doing hand laundry.

I was curious to know the history of how bathtubs came to be in kitchens and in my google search I found a blog post you might find helpful. http://www.alicefeiring...

Buddhacat
SKK added about 3 years ago

Float candles in water for ambiance.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler
Nora added about 3 years ago

Any chance of a photo?

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added about 3 years ago

Hey Guys . . . its 1 April!!

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added about 3 years ago

did you come up with this Usuba Dashi???

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added about 3 years ago

This question reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, where Kramer had a garbage disposal installed in the tub drain, and he would prep his salad while he showered... April Fool's Day aside, I've seen one of those apartments (upper east side) with the tub in the kitchen, and no shower elsewhere, you bathe in the kitchen... Hey, CRUSH GRAPES AND MAKE WINE!

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added about 3 years ago

oh nooooo you HAD to bring that Seinfeld episode up... I'm in splits here & its beginning to hurt!

Junechamp

Do you also have a bathtub in the bathroom, or is this the only one in the house?

Open-uri20130203-7046-1u7cxkg-0
Fran McGinty added about 3 years ago

Just think how cozy and after dinner bath would be. The kitchen would already be nice and warm. Just perfect. Then you could lay a nicely padded board over the tub and you have an after bath massage table. What a relaxing room to build wonderful memories..... ;)