🔎

• 7

• 530

Yet another egg question

Hello all, happy Friday. I'm hoping all the experts here can help with kind of a fun question. I looked through a few hundred of the past questions but didn't see anything relevant (though I did see another egg question earlier today -- lots of egg questions today!)

I moved into a new house last week and we immediately set to doing some yardwork. In preparing to transplant a small dogwood (it's a lovely tree but in the wrong place -- it blocks the view from my kitchen window) my DH and I found a nest with 3 small eggs in it.

They’re greyish- blue, speckled with dark grey (black?) spots and maybe a little smaller than a ping-pong ball. Does anyone know what species they are? Could I substitute them in for regular eggs (ounce for ounce of course -- I'm a baker and usually go by weight) in some shortbread I’m making for a party next week?

Oh, and sorry I don't have photos of the eggs. We still haven't unpacked the camera and my cell phone is ancient -- one of those that only makes phone calls!

Sunflower_profile
Burnt Offerings added about 3 years ago

Are you serious? They're wild bird's eggs! Let the nest be until they hatch - and then move the tree. Besides - those eggs have fetuses in them, and unless you want a mouthful of incomplete feathers and bones - I don't think you want to use them. Really hoping this is an April Fool's post.

Face_hat_underpainting_1
Queen of Spoons added about 3 years ago

Well, since they are likely to be fertile eggs, you'd definitely want to candle them before cracking them since they could be quite a bit more developed than just a yolk. Candling is shining a bright light behind them to see what's inside.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added about 3 years ago

Put them back! They sound like robin eggs...

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added about 3 years ago

Do not transplant a dogwood in the Spring . . .it will not survive. Wait until Fall for success! I haven't a bloody clue about the egg.

macollins added about 3 years ago

Those actually sound like house sparrow's eggs. Incubation and fledgling times are pretty short for songbirds, why not leave them alone for a few weeks? It actually sounds like a lovely view to have...birds in a flowering dogwood.

Without knowing which dogwood species you have, I also caution against transplanting it now...if you don't want to wait until fall, at least wait until after the spring blossoms have emerged and are spent.

Chris_in_oslo

Happy April!

Penny Lane added about 3 years ago

Happy April Fool's!