🔔
🔎

What is sriracha? Where do you buy it? Would love to make these sprouts!

http://www.food52.com/blog...

asked by MyLittleCuddles over 3 years ago
2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

It's a chile sauce! Readily available in New England supermarkets. Otherwise, easily mail ordered. Great all purpose sauce. Essential for Vietnamese Pho. Some people call it Rooster Sauce because of the picture on the label.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

Comes in several handy sizes, too!

Rooster

Ah! Ok, I've seen it. Would tabasco work instead with this recipe? I have that at home already.

I imagine Tabasco would be a good fall-back, but honestly, once you've tried Siracha, there's no going back! Probably not worth a trip to the store on a Sunday evening, though. But the next time you're there . . . .

Buddhacat

Here is a wonderful recipe for sriracha right on this site http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I made sriracha salt the other week. It's great to keep on hand.
1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon sriracha sauce.
Mix until well coated. Put on foil in a 200 degree oven in a thin layer..then turn off the oven and wait over night. It'll clump up---put in a ziplock and smash with a rolling pin.

Great on Deviled Eggs and Salads. Or as a finishing salt for meats and seafood.

Love it, Sam1148! Thanks!

I've seen it at a wal-mart in Alabama, so you would probably be able to find it anywhere.

Farmer's_market

I'm addicted to the stuff - especially on scrambled eggs. I buy it at my local Asian grocery in a giant bottle for less than the small one at the supermarket costs - so if you have one nearby, worth checking out.

Interesting factoid: there was an article about it a few years ago in the NY Times - while there are many chili sauces in Thailand, the popular green-capped 'rooster' brand isn't even available there; apparently a Thai immigrant came up with it here to suit the American market.

Stringio

i wouldnt sub tabasco for sriracha, tabasco is too vinegary. the sriracha has more of a heat without the vinegar. it is a chili pepper paste with garlic added to it. i havent made the recipe that you mentioned so i am not sure but its possible that some fresh minced garlic, cayenne, and a baby bit of vinegar might work...but really you should just buy sriracha cuz it is pretty awesome!

Scan0004

MyLittleCuddles, since you're in Ireland, you might not find it in your supermarket, but if you have Asian grocery stores, look for this. And while you're there, see if you can find Sambal Olek also, if you like delicious warmth, uh, heat.

Scan0004

There is a homemade recipe on food52:
If you can find hot peppers, you could try this. The comments talk about other kinds of hot peppers you can sub if you can't get Fresnos.