Difference Between a Frittata & a Spanish Tortilla - Technically

Our breakfast this morning had us discussing the what makes the difference between a frittata & a spanish tortilla? Is it technique? the flipping? the ingredients? the country?

Would love to hear from the great knowledge base that is Food 52. The photo is the breakfast in question: potatoes, red peppers, mushrooms & caramelized onions cooked in duck fat, beaten duck eggs poured over, finished in the oven and flipped onto a plate.

asked by Queen of Spoons over 3 years ago
Dsc_0048b

pierino - love the springform idea! How high an oven?

We host new year's day brunch for about 30 every year. I always cook my Spanish tortillas in springform pans. So easy!! I cook my frittatas in the oven so I don't have to flip. Some year I'll work on my no utensils flipping skills.

Healthierkitchen, 400F should be about right (depending on what your actual oven temperature is). And they must cook long enough so that they set firmly and don't fall apart when you open the springform.

Sara_clevering

Wow, I love this springform idea. I love tortilla but avoided it because of the flip method until I realized I could finish it under the broiler. (Then I still avoided a bit because I hated slicing all those potatoes, but that problem was solved when I got a mandoline). But I bet this way you are unlikely to accidentially overcook the eggs, as can happen easily under a broiler - not that I'd ever reconsider the flip method!

Junechamp

Some frittatas are made with pasta.

In cooking school we learned to flip them onto a plate by inverting them. With that method, it does help to have asbestos fingers...

I have never found fliiping to be an issue, so I do it the old fashioned way. Ahh, the potatoes poached in oil. It doesn't get better. Thanks for reminding me what to have for supper tonight!

Flower-bee

A friend of our family who lived in Spain for a while says that they have pans there specifically designated to making a tortilla that look like a larger-diameter-shorter-handle version of a campfire waffle iron- it eliminates the worries over flipping the tortilla.