How do I tame the spice in my chipotle and pineapple braised pork shoulder? I excitedly put waaaay too much chipotle in - still simmering!

asked by Canadian Carly over 3 years ago
Melissa_mitchell

I'm not sure if this works or if I just **think** it works but I've tamed chili before by simmering a cut-up potato in the pot for a while. I've done it until the potato was nearly cooked through. Might be all in my head, but I thought it worked (and my mom used to do it).

Serve with lots of sour cream and avocado. I don't believe you can 'remove' heat, you can only attempt to dilute it by adding more of the sauce ingredients, or making it into a stew with beans or potatoes, a bottle of beer, more pineapple and whatever else goes, maybe tomato. If the shoulder is whole, you can remove it from the sauce, make a fresh batch of sauce without chiles and just add some of the original sauce to taste. The heat shouldn't have penetrated too far into the interior. Good Luck.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

MTMitchell's idea is a great one that I have used myself. You may want to try sweet potato in this case. It might actually be a nice addition to the dish...