🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Do chicken and apples go well together? Like pork and apples? My fiance doesn't eat pork (eeek I know!) and I was going to make 2 dishes exactly the same one with pork and one with chicken thighs.

asked by Madame Sel about 4 years ago
Onionavatar
Michael Hoffman

Michael is an engineer at Food52

Chicken and apples can be great. Check out the Melissa Clark recipe at the bottom of this article: http://www.post-gazette...

Kay_at_lake

I've done chicken and apples together several times; always thought they went wonderfully. You probably need to up the spice level just a tad, as the chicken thighs may not be quite as flavorful as your pork.

Your fiance doesn't eat pork? Are you sure this marriage can work? Don't know that I could live with a man who didn't eat pork....

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Billions of chicken-and-apple sausages are sold every year in the U.S. for a reason. The answer is, of course, YES!! I often substitute chicken thighs in pork recipes, by the way. Although pork gives a much different (and to my mind, better) flavor, it almost always works very well, especially when you're feeding someone who doesn't like and therefore won't miss the pork flavor. ;o)

Image

He's too amazing not to marry! I can turn a blind eye to the pork (and beef) "issue".

I thought about the chicken and apple sausages I've seen AFTER I posted the question. I'll be sure to post the recipe if it's a winner!

Thanks for your help!

Image

Absolutely. I've sauteed apples and onions in butter, deglazed with a little apple cider, and added cream and butter to make a sauce and serve that with roast chicken or sauteed breasts or thighs. Having said that, if your fiance doesn't eat pork because he keeps kosher (or kosherish), he may not be so crazy about the milk and meat aspect.

Desert

I have made this subtitution for the same reason and my answer would be yes! I serve a chunky carmelized apple and onion relish over the top of pork chops that also goes well over chicken. By the same token I also make chicken , apple,sage sausage that is popular as well.

Me? I'd probably be tempted to try duck breast and apples. You know, lots of crispy duck skin and unctuous fat.

Canposter

What great answers!

Cakes

I've made a great chicken curry with apples, bananas, and celery.

I can't say I've ever had chicken with apples. But something that does work equally well with pork and chicken are peaches. Too bad the season is just ending, but there is always frozen or good canned ones.