🔔
🔎

How long can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish in the fridge?

Can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish (no meat, just eggs, cheese, bread, and cooked veggies) covered in the fridge overnight for 16 hours? I usually leave strata casseroles in the fridge overnight, but no longer than 10 hours - I'm wondering if 16 will be okay. I'm using a ciabatta in the strata, so I think it can hold up to the egg mixture, but I'm not sure if 16 hours is okay. Any help is appreciated.

asked by chimera over 3 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate. Just wrap with plastic wrap and chill. People rarely make it as short a time as 10 hours ahead, and I see recipes that call for up to 24. I can't think it would be unsafe, but I can't find an authority for you.

Croppedcherryblossoms4

Thanks, nutcakes. I'm making a ton of food, so I'm relying on being able to get those three stratas assembled the night before. I agree - I think it'll be okay - I just hope the texture is the same. I think I'm going to let the ciabatta get a little bit dried out before adding the eggs.

Junechamp

My experience is that the longer the bread soaks in the egg mixture, the more souffle-like the finished dish turns out. Imho, nothing wrong with that!

Ry_400

I've made a strata 24 hours in advance and it turned out well and nobody died or got sick. Success! Good luck.

Best_africa_093

Used the below resource which says raw egg out of the shell is safe for 2-4 days:
http://www.stilltasty.com...
enjoy!

Croppedcherryblossoms4

Thanks everyone - I took your advice and left everything overnight. Everything turned out fantastic - an artichoke goat cheese strata, a mushroom, spinach, and feta strata, and a baked maple french toast. Delicious. Thank you again for your help.