🔔
🔎

Making muffins and they are too wet

I am making muffins with spent brewing grains which is kind of wet to begin with. They turn out like muffin soup. Baked them longer and they were the same. Super wet. What can I do? Add more flour to the recipe? Let the grains dry a little?

asked by KaleHog over 3 years ago

I love baking with spent brewing grains. They come with lots and lots of yeast. You need to, pardon the violence here, kill them off because they are what is making your batter soupy. Yeast has an aggressive appetite, and it is consuming the sugars in your muffin batter, and then turning on the protein in the flour. Your batter literally can't hold itself together. Before you make your batter, scale your spent grains into a pot. Cover with hot water, then bring just to a boil. Strain through a colander, then rinse with cold water to cool. Once your grains are cool and well drained, proceed with your muffins. Your results will be infinitely better.

And don't be afraid to add some more flour if you feel it is necessary. Also, spent grains are quite acidic, so maybe add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to your sifted dry ingredients to balance the acid. I love to remind students that the recipe is not the voice of god. Never be afraid to tweak.

Profile

Thank you, thank you. I added a little more flour and also baked the grains on low heat for a little while just to get rid of some of the extra water. Second batch much better. I also added some nice local apples. Mmmmmm.

Good for you!

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Oats. That way you don't have to compensate with additional salt, baking powder, etc you have to add with flour.

Oats will soak extra liquid up like a sponge and add flavor and texture.

Profile

Oats is an awesome idea! Plus they would look really good too.