What to do with fresh ham steak?

I've got three 'fresh ham steaks' in the deep freeze, remnants of a partial-pig purchase last fall. Any suggestions on how to cook them (should I treat them like pork chops?) and/ or great recipes?

asked by Midge over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

How about Ham Steaks with Red-Eye Gravy? http://bit.ly/in2uu1

Summer_2010_1048

ooh thanks amanda! I admit I didn't think to broaden my recipe search beyond food52 ;)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

What does the meat look like? Most butchers use the term "fresh ham" to refer to an uncured pork leg, i.e., the meat looks and tastes more like a pork roast (light pink raw, and cooks to a cream color or light brown, and not pink). It's really quite different from a country ham. ;o)

Summer_2010_1048

"Fresh ham steak" is stamped on the butcher paper and, yes, it doesn't look cured or at all like country ham.

Wholefoods_user_icon

grill it and baste it with a cocacola glaze

1 can of cocacola
1 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/4 C. brown sugar
simmer in a saucepan until it thickens a bit. Sometimes I add some marichino cherry juice and some ameretto for a DR. Pepper kick.

how about breakfast for dinner (or you could even do breakfast with them). I'm thinking a sunny side up egg over a piece of cast iron skillet cooked ham steak. Maybe brighten up the color with a bit of fresh tomato and ham drippings wilted spinach. A side of potato hashbrowns and you have a great Sunday brunch as well.

I would go with the breakfast theme. Maybe grilling the steaks.

I also bought a 1/2 pig from my CSA farmer this past year and ended up with a lot of pork shoulder slices and fresh ham slices. Not that it was a problem, but these cuts are tough meat and really need slow cooking, braising to be at their best. I made pork chile with tomatillos, shredded pork, etc. I only used the pork loin forchops which I pan fried..

This is the only ANSWER that addressed the question: i.e., uncured (fresh) ham steaks are TOUGH and can't be used like regular, 'pink' ham steaks. SLOW COOKING with moist heat is the only way to make them edible.

i have purchased "ham steaks" from my grocery store for years whenever i needed a small amount of ham for a recipe that specified leftover ham. I've fried it to caramelize it & then added it to the recipe & at other times just cut it up & added it. available in that form in Tn & Mn.

Clarification, what I am referring to is a 1/4 in thick slice of cured but not precooked ham. it was cured ham colored-dark pink. so if the recipe needed cooked meat (a salad for instance) I would fry it to be sure it was cooked. if the recipe was going to be cooked further (scalloped potatoes) I would add it raw to the other ingredients.

I have also fried it for dinner (cast iron skillet) and served with a baked sweet potato (or yam) and a salad or green vegetable. delish!