🔔
🔎

What to do with fresh ham steak?

I've got three 'fresh ham steaks' in the deep freeze, remnants of a partial-pig purchase last fall. Any suggestions on how to cook them (should I treat them like pork chops?) and/ or great recipes?

asked by Midge over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

How about Ham Steaks with Red-Eye Gravy? http://bit.ly/in2uu1

Summer_2010_1048

ooh thanks amanda! I admit I didn't think to broaden my recipe search beyond food52 ;)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

What does the meat look like? Most butchers use the term "fresh ham" to refer to an uncured pork leg, i.e., the meat looks and tastes more like a pork roast (light pink raw, and cooks to a cream color or light brown, and not pink). It's really quite different from a country ham. ;o)

Summer_2010_1048

"Fresh ham steak" is stamped on the butcher paper and, yes, it doesn't look cured or at all like country ham.

Wholefoods_user_icon

grill it and baste it with a cocacola glaze

1 can of cocacola
1 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/4 C. brown sugar
simmer in a saucepan until it thickens a bit. Sometimes I add some marichino cherry juice and some ameretto for a DR. Pepper kick.

how about breakfast for dinner (or you could even do breakfast with them). I'm thinking a sunny side up egg over a piece of cast iron skillet cooked ham steak. Maybe brighten up the color with a bit of fresh tomato and ham drippings wilted spinach. A side of potato hashbrowns and you have a great Sunday brunch as well.

I would go with the breakfast theme. Maybe grilling the steaks.

I also bought a 1/2 pig from my CSA farmer this past year and ended up with a lot of pork shoulder slices and fresh ham slices. Not that it was a problem, but these cuts are tough meat and really need slow cooking, braising to be at their best. I made pork chile with tomatillos, shredded pork, etc. I only used the pork loin forchops which I pan fried..

This is the only ANSWER that addressed the question: i.e., uncured (fresh) ham steaks are TOUGH and can't be used like regular, 'pink' ham steaks. SLOW COOKING with moist heat is the only way to make them edible.

i have purchased "ham steaks" from my grocery store for years whenever i needed a small amount of ham for a recipe that specified leftover ham. I've fried it to caramelize it & then added it to the recipe & at other times just cut it up & added it. available in that form in Tn & Mn.

Clarification, what I am referring to is a 1/4 in thick slice of cured but not precooked ham. it was cured ham colored-dark pink. so if the recipe needed cooked meat (a salad for instance) I would fry it to be sure it was cooked. if the recipe was going to be cooked further (scalloped potatoes) I would add it raw to the other ingredients.

I have also fried it for dinner (cast iron skillet) and served with a baked sweet potato (or yam) and a salad or green vegetable. delish!

A fresh ham is a pork roast. We had this roast often for Sunday dinner. Ham( not labeled fresh) is cured. Fresh ham is not as easy to find as it once was but it is worth the effort if you do find one. It's kind of a retro cut.

Open-uri20141021-18367-1bxwodr
added about 1 month ago

http://www.northmountainpastures... Has a home cure recipe that I'm going to try with my fresh ham steaks.