🔎

A question about a recipe: Borrachos

I have a question about the recipe "Borrachos" from lastnightsdinner.

Although I would make this recipe again in a heartbeat (the flavors are wonderful), I just COULD NOT get the beans fully tender. They simmered in my Le Creueset dutch oven for upwards of 4 hours (slow, steady bubble) and just would not cook all the way through. Most of the time was partially covered, some of the time was fully covered when I got desperate. These were newly purchased beans from a national brand so I'm fairly confident that they weren't old. I'm wondering if there is some science behind a slow boil simmer of the beans causing them to not get tender all the way as I found out yesterday. I say this because I've made many similar recipes in my slow cooker and after 6-8 hours, they are always creamy tender. In the case of the slow cooker, they never simmer-boil. Any thoughts yeah or nay on this theory??

Food52_082311-4384
Img00060-20100319-1845
Lnd_jen
lastnightsdinner added almost 3 years ago

Ugh, I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you. I'm not sure what advice to give re: the beans remaining tough - I've made these with everything from Goya to Whole Foods 365 brand pinto or red beans, to heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo and Freedom Bean Farm, and I haven't had a problem. I'm wondering if a more traditional overnight soak rather than a quick soak like I use might help? At any rate, thanks so much for trying my recipe, and I'm so sorry it was a disappointment.

Port2
nogaga added almost 3 years ago

Beans can be mysterious that way. I think they just need time to soften up and expand. Most likely the overnight soak lastnightsdinner recommends would do the trick. Good luck!

prettyPeas added almost 3 years ago

If you're having trouble I'd suggest not adding the tomatoes until beans have softened as acids can prevent beans from softening. This recipe sounds delicious and I'll have to try it with my excess of pinto beans.

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 3 years ago

I love this recipe and had the same problem as you the first time I made at. How I compensated was I did not add the tomatoes, beer, chilis and brine until after the beans were tender. My reasoning was the salt in these ingredients were the source of beans not tenderizing. Have made this dish many times and been successful. It really is worth trying again!

Img00060-20100319-1845
Chicago Mike added almost 3 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

lastnightsdinner - absolutely no need to be sorry - this was in no way a disappointment - just something I've dealt with in the past and am aware is a regularly occurence in the art of cooking! As I said, I would make this dish again in a heartbeat. what I love about it is the cooking of the aromatics prior to adding them into the beans. Many bean recipes I've made in the past have you throw raw onions and garlic and salt pork and chili powder into the mix without any flavor melding or development, and your version goes way beyond that. Thumbs way up!

everyone else- I think the acid may be the cause! I read a few things from the likes of Alton Brown about adding a small bit of baking soda to help beans soften to combat the acidity, In addition, I used salt pork instead of uncured slab bacon, so I had a healthy dose of salt already prior to adding any more into the simmer.

Thanks again to all in this wonderful community!

Adrienne_2
giuliettanicoletta added over 2 years ago

My beans are also refusing to soften after many hours of partially covered, very gentle simmering. They are Rancho Gordo "Pebbles," btw. Thanks to all for the above discussion. I feel much the wiser now! And echoing Chicago Mike, this is in no way a criticism of the recipe -- just sharing. Cheers!

Chris_in_oslo

This subject comes up repeatedly on the hotline. I'd never had it myself (including cooking with those delightful Rancho Gordo Pepples) until just this week with some very large and beautiful lima-type beans called "chestnut." I simmered and simmered and simmered. Then added just a pinch of baking soda, and poof!! They were ready in no time.

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

One warning about the baking soda addition...just a pinch is all thats needed. It can usually be the beans or hard water or a combination of both. The baking soda softens the water. Using distilled water works also...however by the time you realize you have a problem bean, it's too late, and baking soda to the rescue. If you add too much baking soda you run the risk making the flavors go completely flat---it's a pinch as you say. I use this trick all the time with difficult beans.