FREE Standard Shipping Through Monday. Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

Substituting chipotle chile powder for chili powder

Can chipotle chile powder be used as a substitute 1:1 for chili powder or would there be more "heat"? I know chipotle powder will provide a more smoky flavor, but I am curious about the heat as well.

Thanks in advance

asked by Steven Lederman over 3 years ago

Personally, chili powder for me is much spicier than chipotle powder, which is more smokey than spicy. But it probably various from palate to palate

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I'd say the chipotle is spicier than most chili powders, especially when it's fresh. Still, I usually substitute it 1:1 or .75:1 for regular chili powder. It isn't THAT much hotter.

Scan0004

Are we assuming that everyone is calling 'chili powder' just dried ground chilis? Otherwise, it's the blend of chilis and spices used to make 'chili' -- and varies from hot to mild, may have salt included. There is not strict guide to usage.

In this reporter's opinion chipotle has moved to the top of the list as most missued and abused ingredient in American cooking. It's now ahead of "balsamic" vinegar and sundried tomatoes on the chump chain of your supermarket shelf. Chipotle is smoked jalapeno, and no Bobby Flay, it doesn't taste like a spicy raisin.

My guess would be it depends on the chili powder and the chipotle powder. Different chili powders have different heats, so I almost always go by taste while I cook - or even try a bit of the chili powder before I start. Are you making a recipe you can taste as you go along, or try at the end and add more if necessary? If so, you can always start small and work your way up to the amount of heat you want.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

chili powder is pretty much a generic term encompassing powders made from chilies across the scofield scale, Chipotle tends to be associated with a smoky quality, that others are not the heat thereof could be anywhere in between the ranges...
As for a raisin smell, not sure, but of late I seem to love smelling the fruity aroma that arises from a just open container of dried red chilies, (Don't over do it, the painful acridity is never far behind!!)

I'm going to assume you're buying these chili powders and chipotle powder in the USA, where the jars of spices labeled "Chili Powder" are usually powdered red chili (usually cayenne), salt, garlic powder, other spices, often including cumin and oregano, anti-caking agents and sometimes even dextrose (a sugar). So I'd start with a bit less chipotle powder than chili powder called for, as chili powder has a lot of fillers.