🔎

What are some good ways to thicken a soup?

What kind of soup are you thinking of?

phyllis added almost 3 years ago

It's best to know what kind of soup so we can provide an appropriate answer.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added almost 3 years ago

roue (toasted flour, butter & milk), Cornflour, rice flour, okra, even 'besan' (chickpea flour)... it depends upon the kind of soup.

joninnyc added almost 3 years ago

I was thinking of a cream soup that is not pureed (still has chunks of vegetables).

Thanks guys!

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added almost 3 years ago

cream soup.. My bet would be on a roue, but do wait for other answers as weel , there are some fabulous experts here on food52..

Yes, a roux would make a nice velvety soup. For general reference, an ounce of butter and an ounce of flour will thicken a quart of milk, or milk-cream mixture. Also, you could scoop out some - not all - of your nicely cooked vegetables, puree them and add them back into the soup. Your soup sounds wonderful.

Love your photo.

phyllis added almost 3 years ago

A roux would be lovely. You could also add a potato or two and if you puree, the potato acts as a ticketing agent. I love pursed soups, actually all soups, and often cook them no matter what the weather.

mcd2 added almost 3 years ago

my brother-in-law is a vegetarian. doesn't eat butter so no roux for him. he adds cream of wheat to soup or refried beans etc as a thickener. just a small amount will do the trick-a few tbsp to start. doesn't affect the taste or have a noticeable textural additive other than thickening (what i mean is, no cereal texture is noticeable).

Anita_date

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

grate a sweet potato right in there. With a few minutes cooking it will "melt" right into the broth and not only thicken, but flavor the soup. Learned this lil' trick in Puerto Rico :)

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added almost 3 years ago

I also will use a handful of red lentils. When they cook they end up melting into what ever you're making. Great for gravies, stews, soups, etc. Besides, it gets a bit more nutrition into you!

Tony S added almost 3 years ago

You could also pull some of the vegg out of the soup, puree, then add the rest back in. That would thicken but also leave some texture.

ChefDaddy added almost 3 years ago

Tradionally a cream soup would be thickened by just reducing the cream to a thicker state. But, people have been cheating on this for cost and health reasons to a point where a veloute is now an acceptable base for a cream soup.

0605111238
Raquelita added almost 3 years ago

like Anitalectric suggests, grate a starchy vegetable into the soup. I love a meaty winter squash like kabocha or kuri for this purpose. Also could separately steam a potato or the squash, mash it really smooth with a little oil and stir it into the soup.

P1010511-1
sgoyette added almost 3 years ago

Filé (sassafras powder) would work - it's a thickening agent used in gumbo. http://en.wikipedia.org...
You could also try adding a slurry of cold water and a teaspoon or two of corn starch - this is how sauces are often thickened in Chinese and other Asian cuisines, and it adds little to no flavor but gives liquids a good body. Or a slurry of a little cold water and tapioca (manioc) flour.
Also, gluten-filled water from cooking pasta will thicken the soup a bit. But not as much as a roux, filé, or flour-based slurry.
Otherwise, all the veggie and potato based answer above are great ideas!