A question about a recipe: World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki

052411f_444

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki" from marisab67. It says:

"Drain chickpeas and let air dry for 2 hours or more." you don't cook them?

asked by swscovell about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Not until they're formed into falafel patties and hit the frying pan! This step just rehydrates them.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

No, you don't. At this stage they're crisp but no longer hard, and will taste a little like a raw green bean. I know it sounds strange, but it works well!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Also you can check out the slideshow on the recipe page and see what the beans look like after air drying.

I think I can't believe Amanda Hesser is talking about the first recipe I have ever submitted anywhere. I don't know why I've been so timid, but I'm glad I decided to make the jump with a food that I love so much.

Ha-Aren't you glad I asked this question! My other attempts at falafel have failed and fallen apart in the pan with cooked chickpeas. I'm eager to try this method.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet