🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki

052411f_444

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "World's Easiest Falafel and Tzatziki" from marisab67. It says:

"Drain chickpeas and let air dry for 2 hours or more." you don't cook them?

asked by swscovell over 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Not until they're formed into falafel patties and hit the frying pan! This step just rehydrates them.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

No, you don't. At this stage they're crisp but no longer hard, and will taste a little like a raw green bean. I know it sounds strange, but it works well!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Also you can check out the slideshow on the recipe page and see what the beans look like after air drying.

I think I can't believe Amanda Hesser is talking about the first recipe I have ever submitted anywhere. I don't know why I've been so timid, but I'm glad I decided to make the jump with a food that I love so much.

Ha-Aren't you glad I asked this question! My other attempts at falafel have failed and fallen apart in the pan with cooked chickpeas. I'm eager to try this method.