🔎

A question about a recipe: Old Bay Aioli

OK, another question ... I made this for a cookout party this weekend and it was delicious! Only sort-of complaint was that it was very, very rich ("literally tastes like butter" was one comment). I am absolutely going to make it again for future guests/parties, but do you have a suggestion for lightening it up a bit? Thanks!

051611f_631
Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added almost 3 years ago

Having never used canola oil before, and having made a version of this aioli with grapeseed oil, I would tend to think....it might have been the canola!

To lighten up, I'd suggest water, or a touch more vinegar/lemon juice- the acid would cut through the fat, 'degreasing' the flavour as it were. My 2 cents

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I was going to make exactly the same suggestion as Kitchen Butterfly -- water or acid. You might want to look for another canola oil brand. Wondering if that had anything to do with it -- because, and I meant to mention this in the post, another reason I use canola instead of all-olive-oil is to lighten it up!

petite cuisine added almost 3 years ago

What should I look for in a canola oil? I'm not used to using it but trying to find a good, lighter replacement for olive oil anyway (I'm Italian - I use olive oil for everything!). This time I just used my supermarket store brand. Thanks to both of you!