🔎

I hate fennel!

What are good some good substitutes?

35712_560432387284_44302395_32745670_6034319_n
nutcakes added almost 3 years ago

Depending on what you are making, celery. Cooked fennel is very mild.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added almost 3 years ago

That depends on whether you need a substitute for fresh fennel or the seed. To replace the fresh fennel, I'll sometimes use parsley or chives. To replace the seed, I've used small amounts of cumin, kala jeera, caraway, or fenugreek. I assume that you dislike anise as well as fennel, since the flavors are both in the liquorice end of things. No matter what, replacing the fennel will change the flavor. My best advice is to consider each instance separately to decide what spice may add dimension to your dish without clashing with the other flavors. Or you could just leave it out, depending on how essential it is to the dish. I usually find fennel used in combination with other flavors, so leaving it out may be a good option for you.

I LOVE fennel, especially with any pig part. However you might try dill.

Chris_in_oslo

It's interesting to me how many people don't like fennel. Just yesterday, I got a big bag of it from some friends who were shuddering at the thought of having it in their refrigerator. Someone should look into this!

As for substitutions, I'll echo what the others have to say--for fresh fennel bulb, consider celery, which will deliver the texture without the taste. For fronds and seeds, leave them out or try a flavor you do like.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added almost 3 years ago

seeds or the bulb?,

Image

I love fennel, too, but I've substituted thickly sliced sweet onion (like vidalia) for similar texture. (I don't like cooked celery...)

Me
wssmom added almost 3 years ago

Is it the licorice taste you don't like?