🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Best Boston Baked Beans

040111f__navy_04

I would love to make Fairmount_market's baked beans recipe, but molasses is impossible to find in Denmark! Is it possible to substitute the molasses with maple syrup (known as 'Acorn Syrup' in Denmark)?

asked by CarlaCooks over 3 years ago
2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

There is great debate in New England regarding molassas vs maple syrup in baked beans. People have very strong opinions on the matter! I always make mine with molassas, but the maple syrup version is delicious. Give it a try! Are you able to find dark brown sugar? You could add some in as well.

Kg_in_evanston_cropped

Yes I think maple syrup would be a fine substitute for molasses in this recipe. Enjoy!

I've made this recipe several times (we love them sooo much), and I think the small amount of molasses lends an earthy note without the sweetness of maple syrup, but I think the same amount of maple syrup could hardly fail to make an equally interesting pot o' beans, especially if you can get your hands on darker maple syrup (grade B dark amber, since grade A is more refined and not as maple-y).

Also, fyi, I sometimes make them without bacon, but with a ham bone instead. I fry the onions in bacon grease first, then add all the stuff with one or two ham bones that still have a fair amount of ham on them, and when it's all done, remove the bones, let cool a few minutes, pick off as much ham as possible and toss that back in with the beans. The recipe makes enough for us to have for dinner, breakfast, and, for the lucky ones, lunch the next day. Then they're gone!