Can anyone recommend a substitute for star fruit? I'd like to use it in a dish with chicken. Thanks!

asked by Suzqz about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Depending on the rest of the flavors you're working with, fresh pineapple, mango or melon might be a fun (if not totally direct) substitute.

Gator_cake

I think kiwi or even apple might also be good, but w/o the recipe it is hard to make a suggestion.

I agree with kristen and hardlikearmour, especially melon (maybe honeydew) or a crisp apple. Starfruit is really fragrant but has a clean, delicate flavor. I'm curious about the recipe too, since I have mostly eaten starfruit out of hand. I once used starfruit in a pie with mango and apple banana, and the starfruit was very subtle.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

the tartness of starfruit reminds me of pomegranate while the crisp texture is reminiscent of fuji apples (ideally wax apples (http://en.wikipedia.org...) , but those are incredibly hard to come by here in the US).. the ether aroma that a ripe starfruit emanates.. pineapples...