bought lovely Palestinian olive oil...last year. There is some dark sediment in the bottle. Can this oil be saved?

asked by @AtlantaLily1 almost 4 years ago

If it's unfiltered olive oil, the sediment is natural and harmless. I'm assuming it doesn't smell or taste rancid?

Ditto on TiggyBee's reply. Rancidity would be my one concern. It won't poison you but it might not taste very good. If it's less than a year old it's probably okay, but it does degrade with time. As they say, "store in a cool, dark place".

Desert

I agree. In my experience most oils only last a year before they degrade in flavor and color. I hate it when that happens. Sorry of your loss.

Alas, unlike wine, olive oil does not get better with age! It should be used within one year of pressing...sometimes into the second...but that two depends on how the oil is stored. Don't leave it out near your stove...heat is one of oil's worst enemies.

Atlanta Lily, aka Dewdropper here. I tasted it and it was rancid. Had to go. I partially blame myself because I left it out by the cooktop. Am sure this hastened its demise. Dymnyno, you are so right!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet