🔔
🔎

Overripe nectarines

I have 5 overripe (soft but not moldy) nectarines. I'm thinking of ice cream or muffins, but I wondered about whether this is a good idea and I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks.

asked by jocelyng over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I think it's a great idea. You could also make them into a smoothie or milkshake if you wanted something even quicker & easier.

Lorigoldsby

You could substitute the nectarines for the tangerines in my tangerine almond tart.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

would make some great granita!

Gator_cake

or a nectarine bellini!

Plenty for a free-form tart if you don't shut your oven down in the hot months. If you have some blueberries in the freezer, even better!

I've been using some overripe fruits. (plumbs, apricots, nectarines) to make a soy/ginger/garlic/sake/fruit..marinade for meats. Yakatori, thin sliced beef, etc..etc.

And saving some for dipping sauce. Reducing it when needed (like a final sauce for yakatori)

When you wisk it all in a blender..it'll last quite awhile in the fridge.

That would make a nice paring for the "Street Food" wining recipe posted this week.

Me

I would crush them with some sambucca and serve them over ice cream ....

Junechamp

Ice cream or sherbet is a great idea. It's so humid, I think sherbet right now.

Buddhacat

We love dehydrated fruit when we have an abundance, and nectarines dehydrate beautifully and will last for a year or two. Take the pit out, slice them with skin on and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Turn your oven on at lowest setting and bake until they are dry but not burned. If you are lucky enough to have an Excalibur dehydrator, turn the temp to about 110 F, and it takes about 24 hours.

Monadnock

these would make a great quick "preserve" or compote. just chop them up and cook very briefly on the stove with some sugar, not too much because they're already so ripe.

you can use this on toast, pancakes, ice cream...

Scan0004

If you have a juicer, make juice. Or check out sangria recipes -- macerate them and go.

Ozoz_profile

I made a bellini with my going-soft peaches a few weeks ago. See http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Dsc_0749

Debbykalk-photo

Cut out the bad parts and macerate in tawny port. Yum!

Jocelyn_2006

Thanks for the wide range of suggestions. I decided to make Nectarine Ice Cream from David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop. My daughter wants to add a raspberry swirl. I was thinking of making raspberry coulis and swirling that in, but a) I don't know if that's too thin and b) I'm not sure how far into the churning I should add it. I'm thinking right at the end so it doesn't get incorporated, but I'd love some more thoughts. Thanks again.

Ozoz_profile

I'd swirl the coulis in once the ice cream is done churning - just before you put it in the deep freezer to firm up. That way you keep the distinct flavour. And a great idea!

Amanda's peach pie is probably my favorite dessert ever. I don't see it on this site but it's in her book "Cooking for Mr. Latte" and it's easy and amazing. And good for ripe, juicy fruit!