🔎

O.K. I am making an indian okra & tomatoe recipe that clls for 10 curry leaves, that I could not find at the store. Can I use curry powder instead, and if yes, what would be the appropriate quantity?

N768884774_851343_4507
nutcakes added over 3 years ago

No, curry powder is not a substitute. Curry leaves are an herb,not spices like curry powder. There is not a real substitute if you can't find them fresh or dried at an Indian Market (they won't be in a regular market.) You can just leave them out of the recipe or use another herb. I read that basil may be used.

N768884774_851343_4507
KitchenKim added over 3 years ago

thank you so much! I was just about to add the curry powder but now I'll remove it from the recipe!

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

Spices curry powder is a combination of spices like dry coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder and other spices like cinnamon ,black pepper etc.
And curry leaf http://en.wikipedia.org... is a herb like rosemary thyme
If you don’t have curry leaf do the recipe without it, curry leaf is not a substitute for curry powder.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 3 years ago

I'm glad you got all this good advice in time to make your recipe. Just wanted to add that if you ever do find the curry leaves, make the recipe again. They are so amazingly fragrant and lovely. I've found them at my local organic (co-op type) market as well as at specialty and Indian markets.

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

You can find curry leaves in America The Asian Grocery Store Demystified (Take It with You Guides) http://books.google.co...

N768884774_851343_4507
KitchenKim added over 3 years ago

Thanks again for everyone's advice and research...the dish turned out pretty well without the curry leaves, with basil instead. But tomorrow I will purchase curry leaves at a different market and attempt the recipe again. :)

innoabrd added over 3 years ago

Curry leave freeze very well, so you can easily buy a bunch and freeze some for later. I have also seen them for sale dried, but they loose a lot of flavor that way. It's an easy thing to grow, BTW, if you're in a warm climate. Mine has even withstood a bit of frost.